[DeTomaso] Front mount A/C

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 21:02:47 EST 2013

The only reason I can think of to install front ac is if you are running
180 degree headers. It will be more expensive and difficult to install
front AC. I have just upgraded my ac. I installed a Sandeen 7 cylinder
rotary compressor ( the 7 cylinder has a slightly higher displacement the
the Sandeen 5 series compressor And is capable of putting out more cooling
then the  5 ( make sure you purchase an authentic Sandeen compressor and
not a Sandeen "type". The next thing is to get a parrellel flow condenser (
this is a more modern , more efficient , and more effective condenser then
the old original serpitine condenser. You will need a dryer and it should
be setup to use either a binary or trinary compressor cutoff switch. The
stock Pantera ac did not have a cut off switch. These cut off the
compressor when the freon. Gets over pressure which is the most common
cause of burning out you compressor. A binary switch cuts off in over
pressure situations and a Trinary cuts off both over pressure and low
pressure ( which is caused by running the compressor with no freon and will
result in the compressor burning up. The switch Plugs right into the dryer
and the switches are wired to the compressor. The only other issue should
be the hoses. The Pantera originally ran it's ac on R12, you will want to
run the new set up on R134 you must specify what refrigerant you are going
to use when purchasing the compressor , condenser and hoses because the
fittings are different. People say you can't get cold ac in a rear mounted
ac in a Pantera doing over 70 mph. My setup pumps out air at 38 degrees F
when it's 90 F outside and I am crusing at 75 mph.
Besides using a serpentine condenser , I also used a bigger condenser and
twin high capacity fans. There's no point in going through all the trouble
if your not going to have a system that actually makes cold air.
Boyd
One more thing . I would definitely steer away from recommending front ac
to a guy in the UK. MY. Set up proves that it's possible to get cold AC
with a slightly modified ( modernized ) setup. A front setup is going to a
a custom installation and you don't know what kind of facilities this guy
will have in the UK. With a basically stock setup he can get it running
using the original service manual. have you heard of KISS ( keep it simple
stupid) when trying to sell a car the more choices you give a customer the
more chances there are to screw up the deal. Tell him if he wants ac you
can provide the components for him at his expense ( as you indicated) don't
even mention front vs rear installation.
Just my two cents 25 plus years in retail automobile management and owner
of a Pantera with ice cold ac I installed ( with the help of advice from
Bill Gaino)