[DeTomaso] Front mount A/C

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Mon Nov 4 16:59:10 EST 2013

It pops up once in a while: the idea of front mounted A/C. Before you spend
the time and money (unless you're rich and retired and needs to get through
the day), consider this:

It would have been easier and cheaper for DeTomaso to have the A/C in the
front, so why did they go to rear mounted? Very simply because having two
hot things close to one another doesn't help.

A/C:

1.    If going slow or standing still in stop and go traffic, which would
you rather have? A rear mounted no restrictions system is for sure better
than a front mounted where it would be sitting next to a hot radiator and
airflow would be restricted by having to pass through both of them

2.    If cruising or going fast, the extra air flow from the car moving
MIGHT give better A/C cooling. I've never seen figures to document that, and
my own rear mounted A/C deals with German/French highways and stop and go in
summer, without me having to turn the knob to full cool, it's just working
as designed

Engine cooling:

3.    Who would dispute that the risk of overheating the engine is bigger
when a hot restrictive A/C system is placed in front of the radiator?

So what are the pros and cons? There are two definite "cons", 1. and 3., and
one maybe "pro", 2. Do the math, and save the time and money, and spend it
on getting the original system to work as designed. Remember little tricks
like making sure it's properly filled, and that the heater water cutoff
switch and cable and lever actually cuts the water flow 100%. It didn't in
my Longchamp, when I fixed that, it was as if the A/C was doubled in
capacity. Make sure the capillary tube is placed where it should be, or get
an electronic sensor/switch. Make sure the lever controlling whether the
cold air goes up or down or in your face is properly adjusted. And if you
have a shaker A/C, maybe get a centrifugal motion one, I think they're
better, and they give less vibration.

Be cool

Mvh/Regards

Mikael