[DeTomaso] Cable Shifter - Improvement?

JFFR pantera at vtc.net
Wed Nov 30 12:46:26 EST 2022

I have a friend here is Arizona that installed the cable shifter and he
likes it. How much of an improvement it is over a correctly adjusted
stock rod shifter set up may be up to how much the car is driven and
what you expect out of the system. I never cared for the the stock
support bearing on the stock rod shifter, which did require occasional
lubrication.

On a side note about cable shifter systems. When Ford came out with the
Taurus SHO in 1989 it had a cable shifter system and they continued with
that design until 1991, then they switched over to a lever design. There
had been complaints about how the cable shifter system just didn't work
that well and Ford did listen. I bought a new SHO in 1990 and that cable
shifter system was not as good as my stock Pantera rod shifter system.
Trying to get a fast first to second gear shift on that SHO was
impossible, although the cable set up never had to be adjusted and
always worked the same way, which wasn't that good!