[DeTomaso] No Pantera Content / Elect, Cars

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 07:28:37 EST 2022

The battery life/cost turned me off.  Even if you take it to the extreme (my Honda Insight), it would still have been cheaper to buy a normal compact.

The car was $20K in 2006.  The battery replacement cost at the dealer was $4K, and it would last about 70,000 miles.

When the car was new, it would do about 75mpg.  When the battery was dead, it would do about 55-60mpg.  As the car aged, it lost about 5-10mpg.  The lifetime mpg was something like 55mpg for 250K miles and 4 battery packs (replaced 3 times, and the last one was dead when we traded it in).

The battery part of the hybrid added about 15-20mpg.  It was drivable with a dead battery, but it was really slow.

This was with a lithium-ion battery pack, and unless I'm missing something, the current "improved" battery is still a lithium-ion battery.  Maybe they are calling 70K miles unlimited life.

That being said, I recently rode in a friend's Tesla Model S dual motor.  It is impressive.  I would love to have one - but not because it's cheaper or because it's better for the environment.