[DeTomaso] No Pantera Content / Elect, Cars

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 13:16:39 EST 2022

Agree that there are many different perspectives and anecdotal evidence, as
there should be. My take is that development of EVs and development of the
electric grid to support them need to happen in parallel. Doing everything
linearly will take too much time. And one thing that is really helping is
technological advancement in the competitive free market sector, esp for
batteries. Repairable batteries, quick charge batteries, cheaper batteries,
less rare metal batteries, higher capacity batteries, renewable energy
storage batteries are all on the horizon. Expect hiccups along the way.
But in the meantime, if you can't justify the technology now, hybrids might
be an alternative. A friend in Phoenix bought a Lexus NX hybrid SUV late
last year and is getting over 40 mpg in town vs 26 in the non-hybrid.

Jeff
6559

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 3:41 PM Ken Green via DeTomaso <

>    I wonder if we will ever hear the truth any more?  Listening to both
>    sides, it sounds like one is in an alternative universe.  It seems like
>    electric cars can be a good thing for people with a short enough
>    commute to do it all electric, but will the saving on gas ever make up
>    for the high initial cost?  I'm driving a car I bought 3 years old off
>    a lease, and it has cost me a fraction of the cost of an EV, but I only
>    commute about 50 miles a week. An EV would never be cost effective for
>    me.
>    The batteries are claimed to last almost forever, but why do they last
>    so long in a car, but not in anything else?  Is it the better
>    management?  All the rechargeable lithium battery tools I have seem to
>    have have specific charging strategies, and say the batteries don't
>    like heat.  Does this apply to EVs, and if you live in Phoenix the
>    batteries will have a short life?
>    A friends hybrid battery failed, and even a rebuilt battery was
>    expensive.  With synthetic oil, my past and present cars seem to run
>    for every, just a rebuilt transmission at 100,000 miles, half the $s of
>    a rebuilt EV battery.
>    I don't know if this is a reliable souse, but maybe?
>    [1]https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ev-battery-replacement-co
>    st.html
>
>    On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 06:45:35 AM PST, B Hower via DeTomaso
>    <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>    FWIW  __  Electric Cars:
>    [2]https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1593613166172246017?s=20&t=IIZK
>    TuuaDlnpyt9OA4JVVw
>    use the links above.
>    Members who post to this list grant license to the list to forward any
>    message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the
>    list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive
>    or approve the archiving of list messages.
>
> References
>
>    1.
> https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ev-battery-replacement-cost.html
>    2.
> https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1593613166172246017?s=20&t=IIZKTuuaDlnpyt9OA4JVVw
>    3. mailto:DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com

> the links above.

> the archiving of list messages.
-------------- next part --------------
   Agree that there are many differentA perspectives and anecdotal
   evidence,A as there shouldA be. My take is that development of EVs and
   development of the electric grid to support them need to happen in
   parallel. Doing everything linearly will take too much time. And one
   thing that is really helping is technological advancement inA the
   competitive free market sector, esp for batteries. Repairable
   batteries, quick charge batteries, cheaper batteries, less rare metal
   batteries, higher capacity batteries, renewableA energy storage
   batteries are all on the horizon. Expect hiccups along the way.A  But
   in the meantime, if you can't justify the technology now, hybrids might
   be an alternative. A friend in Phoenix bought a Lexus NX hybrid SUV
   late last year and is getting over 40 mpg in town vs 26 in the
   non-hybrid.
   Jeff
   6559

   On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 3:41 PM Ken Green via DeTomaso

     A  A I wonder if we will ever hear the truth any more?A  Listening
     to both
     A  A sides, it sounds like one is in an alternative universe.A  It
     seems like
     A  A electric cars can be a good thing for people with a short
     enough
     A  A commute to do it all electric, but will the saving on gas ever
     make up
     A  A for the high initial cost?A  I'm driving a car I bought 3 years
     old off
     A  A a lease, and it has cost me a fraction of the cost of an EV,
     but I only
     A  A commute about 50 miles a week. An EV would never be cost
     effective for
     A  A me.
     A  A The batteries are claimed to last almost forever, but why do
     they last
     A  A so long in a car, but not in anything else?A  Is it the better
     A  A management?A  All the rechargeable lithium battery tools I have
     seem to
     A  A have have specific charging strategies, and say the batteries
     don't
     A  A like heat.A  Does this apply to EVs, and if you live in Phoenix
     the
     A  A batteries will have a short life?
     A  A A friends hybrid battery failed, and even a rebuilt battery was
     A  A expensive.A  With synthetic oil, my past and present cars seem
     to run
     A  A for every, just a rebuilt transmission at 100,000 miles, half
     the $s of
     A  A a rebuilt EV battery.
     A  A I don't know if this is a reliable souse, but maybe?
     A [1][2]https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ev-battery-replac
     ement-co
     A  A st.html
     A  A On Saturday, November 19, 2022 at 06:45:35 AM PST, B Hower via
     DeTomaso
     A  A <[3]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
     A  A FWIWA  __A  Electric Cars:
     A [2][4]https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1593613166172246017?s=2
     0&t=IIZK
     A  A TuuaDlnpyt9OA4JVVw
     A  A _______________________________________________
     A  A Detomaso Email List is not managed by POCA
     A  A Posted emails must not exceed 1.5 Megabytes
     A  A DeTomaso mailing list
     A  A [3][5]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     A  A To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe,
     etc.)
     A  A use the links above.
     A  A Members who post to this list grant license to the list to
     forward any
     A  A message posted here to all past, current, or future members of
     the
     A  A list. They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an
     archive
     A  A or approve the archiving of list messages.