[DeTomaso] Daytona Update

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Sun Nov 6 21:34:44 EST 2022

Jack,

We didnt have time to add a tranny temp guage, so weuse temp tape on 3-4
locations on the gearbox and monitored them immediately after each
session.  We will of course be adding a temp guage now, since we have time.

We are also considering gear oil levels.  Because the fill hole is upside
down, we were too low when we ran at Road America.  We added the cooler and
fans for Daytona, and filled it higher.  It ran cool for testing before
Daytona, but we added some along the way during the Daytona test and Sprint
race days. There was not a drop in the overflow after our long run in the
first leg of the 24, but it did run hotter than the Sprint races.   I am
not sure if the team added even more before the second run when it heated
up quickly and started to shift like crap within a few laps.  So this could
be a combination of issues.

This whole engineering project has been interesting but expensive.  Quaiffe
should have cut the gear correctly in the first place and put a proper fill
hole for the upside down configuration.   We shouldn't be testing this by
failure while racing.

I will say, it shifted well for the first few days, much better than a ZF.
So, we are not giving up.

-------------- next part --------------
   Jack,
   We didnt have time to add a tranny temp guage, so weuse temp tape on
   3-4 locations on the gearbox and monitored them immediately after each
   session.A  We will of course be adding a temp guage now, since we have
   time.
   We are also considering gear oil levels.A  Because the fill hole is
   upside down, we were too low when we ran at Road America.A  We added
   the cooler and fans for Daytona, and filled it higher.A  It ran cool
   for testing before Daytona, but we added some along the way during the
   Daytona test and Sprint race days. There was not a drop in the overflow
   after our long run in the first leg of the 24, but it did run hotter
   than the Sprint races.A  A I am not sure if the team added even more
   before the second run when it heated up quickly and started to shift
   like crap within a few laps.A  So this could be a combination of
   issues.
   This whole engineering project has been interesting but expensive.A
   Quaiffe should have cut the gear correctly in the first place and put a
   proper fill hole for the upside down configuration.A  A We shouldn't be
   testing this by failure while racing.A A
   I will say, it shifted well for the first few days, much better than a
   ZF.A  So, we are not giving up.A A

   Steve, years ago I was curious as to how hot the ZF was getting on long
   runs. so the next time the ZF was out, I drilled & tapped the cases on
   the right side (due to ring gear load direction) for a second temp
   sensor. Then I used a 3 position switch so the engine oil temp (left)
   ZF temp (rt side) or Off (center) could be checked on the fly with a
   single gauge.A
   That said, don't write your Quaife off just yet. It sorta sounds like
   the tranny was maybe overfilled a bit during the usual before-event
   thrash? Don't know how you'd verify that at this late date.
   Cheers- J DeRykeA  (only at Daytona for the bike races)