[DeTomaso] rear brake problem

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 23:06:52 EDT 2022

These are old pads, simply going back together? Is it possible you have mixed up the pads i.e. one side slightly more worn than the other? The pistons will go back in if rotated at 45 degrees, but if I recall there's only one position they will do that, so has to be 45 degrees in the right direction.

Maybe this will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQsdtbFHvI

Julian

1972/1973 half L.  I removed the rear brake calipers for greater access to the suspension.  Once the suspension work was done the calipers were remounted (with shims) but the outer pads would not fit in in the remaining gap.  I tried prying for more clearance which didn't work.  The piston looked close to fully retracted.  I got out the screw driver and tried to turn the piston 45 degrees.  Wouldn't turn. I got out the hammer.  It didn't budge.  Exactly the same story on both calipers.  To complicate the matter I made some dummy pads for the  outer gap to see if the pistons were frozen or if they moved with pedal pressure.  They moved.  Now I have one side that is locked up on the rotor.  Help!

   Maybe this will help [1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQsdtbFHvI