[DeTomaso] rear brake problem

Ron Wilcox wilcox70 at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 21:51:15 EDT 2022

1972/1973 half L.  I removed the rear brake calipers for greater access to the suspension.  Once the suspension work was done the calipers were remounted (with shims) but the outer pads would not fit in in the remaining gap.  I tried prying for more clearance which didn't work.  The piston looked close to fully retracted.  I got out the screw driver and tried to turn the piston 45 degrees.  Wouldn't turn. I got out the hammer.  It didn't budge.  Exactly the same story on both calipers.  To complicate the matter I made some dummy pads for the  outer gap to see if the pistons were frozen or if they moved with pedal pressure.  They moved.  Now I have one side that is locked up on the rotor.  Help!