[DeTomaso] Radiator

Mike Drew mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri May 20 12:57:19 EDT 2022

Eric,

Don’t wrap the headers. Header wrap works to keep heat trapped inside, but is designed for disposable headers—it wrecks them. Your coating is all you need.

I would argue that nobody who has improved their cooling system, by any of the readily available means, has been disappointed with the results. Hall Pantera was the pioneer and uses a heavy-duty (and heavy) brass radiator with standard inlets and fan temp switch setup, intended to be used with stock-style pusher fans. They also sell very expensive but excellent replacement fans which are far more effective than stock. This is the simplest setup to implement and works great.

Several other vendors such as Pantera Parts Connection, PI Motorsports and Panteras by Wilkinson offer Fluidyne aluminum radiators, which also work extremely well. They can be had for stock replacement orientation, or laid down and fitted with sucker fans.  They are considerably lighter than the Hall radiator. If you pick up a rock and spring a leak, unlike the Hall radiator, they can’t be repaired so must go into the trash and be replaced at high cost.

Pantera Performance Center sells an ultra-sexy setup featuring a Ron Davis aluminum radiator, aluminum shroud and sucker fans. Probably the most expensive option, it’s also engineered as a plug-and-play package. I don’t know if the radiator can be repaired in the event of a leak. I had a Ron Davis radiator get mangled by an errant fan blade on my Cobra and had to replace it.

You really can’t go wrong with any of these options. They all work really well. The most important thing is to ensure the system is properly bled of any air. Oh, and of course ensure you are using a proper 351C thermostat. I would guess that 90% of “Pantera overheating problems” are in fact caused by owner buffoonery, in the form of air in the system or wrong thermostat, or both.

Even the stock cooling system works quite well if properly maintained. The stock fans are a little underpowered and age does them no favors. But I’ve driven plenty of cars with completely stock cooling systems that performed perfectly.

Mike

Sent from my iPad