[DeTomaso] Brake master plumbing

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jul 20 01:42:25 EDT 2022

Hi all,
This brake master cylinder is installed in a Pantera with Wilwood
six-piston brakes front and rear:

The master has a stepped bore.  The larger at the rear measures 1-3/8"
and the front bore is smaller (probably 7/8" or an inch; I forgot to
measure).  The question is, which port on this master is supposed to go
to the front brakes?

In my experience, most brake master cylinders of this type have the
larger reservoir going to the front brakes, and the smaller to the
rear.  In my experience most masters of this type have the front brakes
plumbed to the rear outlet (meaning the outlet closest to the pedal with
the larger reservoir).

Since this is a non-stock installation, and I know some variations can
mean the front brakes plumb to the front, I am curious which port on
this master should go to which end of the car.  I question this because
I did not find this plumbed the way I expected, and maybe that is fine.

This particular system may have been originally installed by Bobby
Byars, who is unfortunately no longer available for consultation.

I thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Thank you,
Asa  Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES-RACES-ACS EC/RO