[DeTomaso] Oil pan and oil level explained

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Jul 17 21:52:24 EDT 2022

All,

The purpose of an oil pan is to provide a storage space for the lubricating oil, but not have that oil so high as to interfere with the crankshaft rotating assembly.

Engineers smarter than most of us determine the optimal FULL level of oil to meet that requirement.

The distance from the optimal surface of the oil to the bottom of the oil pan is irrelevant. It is the distance between the surface of the oil and the rotating assembly that should always remain a constant.

INSTALLING A LARGER OIL PAN
DOES NOT CHANGE THE OPTIMAL DISTANCE BETWEEN THE OIL SURFACE AND THE ROTATING ASSEMBLY.

How does an owner typically determine where the surface of the oil is?  He pulls out the dipstick and sees where the oil level is in relation to the dipstick markings.

If an owner has assured himself the markings on that dipstick are correct, adding and filling to that level year after year, the dipstick markings will……………remain correct with the installation of a larger and deeper oil pan.

Always.

That’s all for now, I’m going to go work on world peace.

Larry