[DeTomaso] PDK Gearbox on a Pantera ?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 1 15:39:06 EST 2022

Happy New Year Patrick,

You should perhaps look to the kit car guys for experience on the PDK, but from the little I know they require an electronics package and are a semi-automatic. A Graziano (Lamborghini and Audi R8) manual seems to be the preferred choice of the SLC builders these days, capable of handling 1000HP with drop gears to correct gearing to an American V8 available from RCR. The question is how much do you want to spend for peace of mind and low failure risk in a rigorous racing application? The fully built G50/52 in my Ultima was a $15k transaxle in 2004, a new ZF is now $18,950!

I always understood that European vintage sanctioning bodies were quite strict on the car being period correct? For your racing application a true race transaxle offers the advantage of pit side rebuild and regearing for specific track if necessary.

Personally, I’d consider a newer variant Hewland (the LWS-200 is rated to 690 ft/lb torque), Hollinger, Albins or Fortin transaxle. The Pantera built for Kurt Busch by Richard Rawlings (Gas Monkey Garage) used a Hollinger transaxle. Sadev is popular behind a K20 Honda engine in Prototype cars, but still only rated to 450 ft/lb.

Regards,
Julian