[DeTomaso] NPC -- Cizeta-Moroder V16 beast

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Sun Jan 2 17:14:38 EST 2022

Happy New Normal Year in Hell ! (as demons gather, darkness continues
to descend upon humanity and we pretend all is well....)
Some folks here may remember a POCA fun rally in Monterey some years
back when we went to the Bruce Canepa Museum in Santa Cruz.
I was lagging behind everyone due to my total amazement at the place
and wound up in the mechanics' work area looking at racer Porsches and
a near-perfect Dino without wheels up on jackstands.
Everybody had left in rumbling order but I had to keep wandering
around.  I noticed a guy with his head buried inside the engine bay of
the weirdest looking "space car" I'd ever seen:
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/01/cizeta-moroder-auction/
It was this exact car. (below may be a repeat of a story you've heard
me tell): I asked him what the heck is this car and he stopped
working, seemingly relieved to have an opportunity to take a cig
break.  Nearly an hour then passed most delightfully while he happily
answered every question I had about his work and the cars in the
place.  Needed repairs to the Moroder car apparently had reduced all
the local guys to shoulder-shrugging, babbling head-scratchers so they
called him.
Minimum $10K whenever his phone rang, typical job north of $30K, all
expenses paid (travel and hotels). He commented on how much he liked
Panteras and we got to talking about Italian car build quality.  He
walked over to the Dino:
"Check out the body welds under the wheel wells."   Looked to me like
somebody had learned how to weld by building Dino bodies.
"Holy crap!" I said.  'You gonna fix those?"
"Yep.  Gonna re-do every weld nice and strong and then after I will
glob metal slop welds over the top of them." "Huh?"
He nodded.  "Judges at car shows need to see the shitty welds or else
the car loses points."
"So then why re-do them at all?"
He laughed.   "Car falls apart."
 Sent using Hushmail