[DeTomaso] Update on Distributor Pin issue, plus Rally and Laguna

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Sun Feb 13 12:17:06 EST 2022

All,

More information:

Our motor builder was aware of the pin issue.   So our MSD distributor
already had an oversized pin -- a 3/16" chevy pin instead of the small 1/8"
ford pin.  The builder used an MSD pin, so he is now wondering if MSD had a
run of bad pins and is concerned about another engine he used one on (will
be instructing the customer to replace it).  Anyway, we ordered hardened
replacement pins, the stronger grade of the two available grades of
multi-layer Chevy pins made by McMaster-Carr to replace what was in there.
 All else checked out ok.

Regarding the upcoming Rally here in AZ -- we are scheduled to race the
Pantera at Laguna with SVRA that same weekend.  So, we won't be attending
the Rally, as we will likely be prepping, loading, and leaving Wednesday
afternoon. Staging for the paddock at Laguna is Thursday -- and that means
we will be leaving on Wednesday afternoon. We would have loved to attend
the Rally.

Perhaps some of the race-oriented Pantera owners from NORCAL that aren't
going to the Phoneix Rally would like to be added as our crew members for
the Laguna event???  We will have two cars, which gives us a total of six
crew members to sign up.  We typically only use 2-3, which leaves a couple
of free crew passes.

This is a big weekend, with the SCCA Trans-Am series racing and Sunday
closing with a 70-minute vintage enduro (which we plan to run with either
-- or maybe both -- the Pantera or Norma, if all works out ok).

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
*The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 480-442-0297

www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 5:41 PM Bill Moore <billmoore6480 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the TWO roll pin set up. Works great, no issues.
>
> Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
> ------------------------------

-------------- next part --------------
   All,A
   More information:
   Our motor builder was aware of the pin issue.A  A So our MSD
   distributor already hadA an oversized pin -- a 3/16" chevy pin instead
   of the small 1/8" ford pin.A  The builder used an MSD pin, so he is now
   wondering if MSD had a run of bad pins and is concerned about another
   engine he used one on (will be instructing theA customer to replace
   it).A  Anyway, we ordered hardened replacement pins, the stronger grade
   of the two available grades of multi-layer Chevy pins made by
   McMaster-Carr to replace what was in there.A  A All else checked out
   ok.A A
   Regarding the upcoming Rally here in AZ -- we are scheduled to race the
   Pantera at Laguna with SVRA that same weekend.A  So, we won't be
   attending the Rally, as we will likely be prepping, loading, and
   leaving Wednesday afternoon. Staging for the paddock at Laguna is
   Thursday -- and that means we will be leaving on Wednesday afternoon.
   We would have loved to attend the Rally.A A
   Perhaps some of the race-oriented Pantera owners from NORCAL that
   aren't going to the Phoneix Rally would like to be added as our crew
   members for the Laguna event???A  We will have two cars, which gives us
   a total of six crew members to sign up.A  We typically only use 2-3,
   which leaves a couple of free crew passes.A A
   This is a big weekend, with the SCCA Trans-Am series racing and Sunday
   closing with a 70-minute vintage enduro (which we plan to run with
   either -- or maybe both -- the Pantera or Norma, if all works out
   ok).A  A  A A
   [1]www.PatentIt.com
   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
   confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
   error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank
   you.
   On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 5:41 PM Bill Moore <[2]billmoore6480 at gmail.com>
   I have the TWO roll pin set up. Works great, no issues.
   Get [3]Outlook for Android

   Do you need both the gear and shear pin or just a replacement shear
   pin?
   What many have done is source a roll pin instead of a shear pin.
   The Shear pin is usually a spiral wound thinner type of metal, while a
   roll pin is much thicker and is rolled so each side butts up against
   itself.A  Fine a pin that fits the diameter of the hole, then what some
   have done is put a second smaller pin inside the first. I never went
   that far, but -did- use a roll pin at least since it was much stronger.
   Coiled "roll" pin (what some of us call a "shear" pinl, these will
   shear
   easier:
   Roll Pin (sometimes called a "dowel" pin) and harder to shear:
   Roll pins can typically had by Napa or any other good auto parts store,
   or even some home improvement stores.
   AsaA  Jay
   [9]https://w7tsc.org
   [10]https://www.teampanteraracing.com

   <[13]asajay at asajay.com>

   <[14]stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:

   >>A A A A  i>>?
   >>A A A A  Thanks all for the comments -- we pulled the dizzy and it is
   as
   >>A A A A  you suspected.A  The pin was there - broken,A  We will be
   doing
   >>A A A A  some further inspection.
   >>A A A A  Regards,
   >>
   >>A A A A  Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   >>A A A A  *The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
   >>A A A A  Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
   >>A A A A  Direct: 480-442-0297
   >>
   >>A A A A  [15]www.PatentIt.com <[16]http://www.patentit.com/>
   >>
   >>A A A A  *_Scottsdale Office_* | *P*: 480.535.6656A  |
   *F:*480.535.6628A  |

   <[17]http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=lin
   <[19]http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=lin
   k&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

   >>A A A A  On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:01 PM Asa Jay Laughton
   >>A A A A  <[20]asajay at asajay.com> wrote:
   >>
   >>A A A A A A A A  The gear can slip a few degrees and then bind up on
   the pin
   >>A A A A A A A A  fragments and continue to provide good oil
   pressure.A  If the
   >>A A A A A A A A  pin totally shears and -doesnat- bind up, itas hit
   or miss
   >>A A A A A A A A  but should manifest with lower oil pressure.
   >>
   >>A A A A A A A A  Best to remove the dizzy to inspect. Timing is off
   anyway, it
   >>A A A A A A A A  bears inspection.
   >>
   >>A A A A A A A A  Asa A Jay
   >>
   >>A A A A A A A A  Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks
   >>
   >>>A A A A A A A A  On Feb 8, 2022, at 13:21, Steve Lisa
   >>>A A A A A A A A  <[21]stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A  i>>?
   >>>A A A A A A A A  How would that kind of failure impact oil
   pressure?A  We
   >>>A A A A A A A A  still had great oil pressure.A  We checked at the
   track and
   >>>A A A A A A A A  saw only 6-8 degrees of timing and it ran like crap
   as a
   >>>A A A A A A A A  result, but had great oil pressure.
   >>>A A A A A A A A  Regards,
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A  Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   >>>A A A A A A A A  *The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
   >>>A A A A A A A A  Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
   >>>A A A A A A A A  Direct: 480-442-0297
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A  [22]www.PatentIt.com <[23]http://www.patentit.com/>
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A  *_Scottsdale Office_* | *P*: 480.535.6656A  |
   >>>A A A A A A A A  *F:*480.535.6628A  | *A:*A 7689 East Paradise Lane,
   Suite 2,

   <[25]kenn_green at yahoo.com>
   <[26]kenn_green at yahoo.com>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  *Date: *Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 11:58
   AM
   <[27]asajay at asajay.com>, Steve Lisa
   <[30]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  *Subject: *Re: [DeTomaso] #94 McDonald's
   NASCAR auction
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  ends today and "thanks" for the support
   last weekend

   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  I have a vague recollection about a smaller
   roll pin
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  inside the standard roll pin?
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A discussion here:
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A
   [31]https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/351c-breaking-distributor-g
   ear-tension-pin.1184541/

   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:33:14 AM
   PST, Larry

   <[33]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  [34]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
   wrote:

   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  Hi Steve,
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  You may need to pull the distributor.
   A common
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  problem used to be the shear pin breaking
   on the gear to
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  shaft connection. It would usually twist
   just enough to
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  throw timing off and cause poor running.A
   My money is on
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  that, based on your description.
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  It doesnat happen often anymore but
   is more likely
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  on high horsepower engines.
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  Let us know what you find.A  :)
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  AsaA  Jay
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks
   >>>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  > On Feb 8, 2022, at 09:22, Steve
   Lisa
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  <[35]stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  > i>>?A  All,A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  The bidding on my #94 Bill
   Elliott NASCAR has
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  gone high enough that I
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  pulled the reserve.AA  It will be
   entertaining (at
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  least for me) today
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  to see how much higher (if any)
   it goes today.AA
   [1][36]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-ford-thunderbird-3/
> [...]
   out to SVRA and
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  confirmed that they
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  will share the video with me once
   they process
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  it.AA  I want to say
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  thanksA for all the support last
   weekend.AA  I
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  forgot how much fun
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Fontana is -- the last time I
   raced there was 20
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  years in a Rolex race,
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  driving a GT car.AA  NASCAR 2
   certainly gets your
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  attention.AA  A The
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Pantera ran great. I pulled it
   off the track
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  Saturday night and all was
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  fine.A Sunday morning, a few laps
   into
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  qualifying, it lost some power
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  and started running poorly.AA  We
   spent the next 4
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  hours diagnosing and
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  the engine compression and carb
   filters were
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  fine.A It appears as if
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  the timing changed -- but
   how????AA  The
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  distributor had not moved at
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  all and was secure.AA  So, we
   think either the MSD
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  box or MSD
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  distributor failed.AA  We still
   have limited
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  spacrs for the Pantera --
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  so we were done Sunday without
   racing the final
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  race.AA  A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Once the NASCAR sells, and now
   that the Pantera
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  is doing well, we will
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  be loading up on spares. So
   please keep your
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  eyes/ears out for stock
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  parts sitting around in garages
   and on shelves
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  that were replaced on
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  modified cars.AA  A We will be
   looking for fairly
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  priced stock
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  components that typically fail.A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  And, I was asked by SVRA to
   encourage more of you
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  guys to get your race
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  and street Panteras out to the
   events.AA  We will
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  be racing the SVRA
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  event on April 21-24 at Laguna
   Seca.AA  It would
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  be great to get another
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Pantera or two in the paddock
   with us.AA  I am
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  sure a few Panteras in
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  the paddock will get a lot of
   attention.AA  AA  A A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Again, thanks all!
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  AA  A A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Regards,A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko,
   LLC
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.comA
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Direct: 480-442-0297
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  [2][37]www.PatentIt.com
   <[38]http://www.PatentIt.com>
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A
   480.535.6656AA  |A A F:A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  480.535.6628A
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane,
   Suite 2,
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  Scottsdale, AZ 85260
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Chicago OfficeA |A P:
   312.752.4357AA  |AA  F:
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  312.896.5633AA  |AA  A: 55 E.
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >A  Monroe Street, Suite 3800,
   Chicago, IL 60603
   [39]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-ford-thunderbird-3/
   [41]DeTomaso at server.detomasolist.com
   [42]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  > To manage your subscription (change
   email address,
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  unsubscribe, etc.) use the links above.
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  >
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  A  A  > Members who post to this list grant
   license to the
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  list to forward any message posted here to
   all past,
   >>>A A A A A A A A A A A A  current, or future members of the list.
   They also grant

   [44]http://server.detomasolist.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso

   <[47]http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=lin
   k&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
   >>A A A A A A  Virus-free. [48]www.avg.com
   >>A A A A
   <[49]http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=lin
   k&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>