[DeTomaso] 427 SOHC On BaT - Who wants to try dropping this in their Pantera . . . ?

Jim Kosloskey jim.kosloskey at jim-kosloskey.com
Thu Oct 14 19:00:49 EDT 2021

Chuck,

I will need to go to the archives and read those. One is a wedge. It will be
interesting to see if the other is a SOHC. The SOHC besides being overhead
cam was also a hemi head. My recollection is it was both longer and wider
(at the heads anyway) than the wedge 427. It was also incredibly heavy.

The SOHC is a beast of an engine when running correctly. NASCAR would not
allow the engine in competition, so a number of NHRA (Comets as I recall)
were fitted with the beast at Dearborn Steel Tubing and other places for
Ford.

I worked at Experimental Engine Buildup back then and the Ford technicians
had issues trying to get the beast running properly and reliably. But when
it did – wow!!

The Comets so equipped had real issues connecting the power this engine
produced to the ground. The ones that did were really fast and in some cases
smoked the rear tires a full ¼ mile while winning.

Jim