[DeTomaso] Vader window system?

MARK CHARLTON pantera01826 at rogers.com
Wed Jul 28 11:54:45 EDT 2021

I modified my car to use the Ford Aerostar (and Taurus can work too I’m told) motors for speed and reduced electrical load. A few notches carefully placed in the factory regulator enable full retraction. And all for a LOT less than $750!

Details are about two thirds the way down this web page:

http://www.markscars.ca/Pantera_Projects_2.html <http://www.markscars.ca/Pantera_Projects_2.html>

Cheers,

Mark Charlton
pantera01826 at rogers.com

> On Jul 28, 2021, at 8:57 AM, Richard Greenblum <Richard at richardgreenblum.com> wrote:
>
> I have the Vader window lifts.  As soon as I found out about the brass gears, I installed them in both window and the headlight lifts.  Despite replacing the whiskers and several attempts by me and others to adjust the tracks, I could never get the windows to open or close all the way, nor could I get rid of the drag at the top of travel.  That’s what made the $750 palatable.  I didn’t do it for the speed, in fact, I’m not crazy about the speed because I think it’s a little too fast.
>
> Richard
> Austin, TX
>

>> On Jul 27, 2021, at 23:42, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>>
>>  All,
>>
>>    Apparently this failed to go through first time?
>>
>>  Mike
>>  Sent from my iPad
>>  Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>  From: Mike Drew <mikeldrew at aol.com>
>>  Date: July 27, 2021 at 16:43:24 PDT
>>  To: John Donahue <demongusta at gmail.com>
>>  Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
>>  Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Vader window system?
>>
>>  John,
>>  It's a super-sexy, super-elegant engineering solution to what I
>>  consider to be a non-problem, that being that the windows don't go up
>>  and down fast enough. It replaces the entire gear-and-arm mechanism
>>  with an exquisitely engineered cable-based system.
>>  I've never seen the problem with the stock system when it works as
>>  designed (using proper brass replacements for the crappy plastic gears
>>  that can crack and fail). I have never once suffered because they
>>  wouldn't go up or down fast enough. But some people feel the need to
>>  have a glass guillotine in the door, that sends the glass up ZOOM that
>>  fast. For them, the Vader system was invented (Ted Mitchell the
>>  inventor was obsessed with Darth Vader, and his black GT5 license plate
>>  was VADER).
>>  It's a brilliantly conceived and executed system, which is
>>  unfortunately expensive ($750 last I checked, for both sides).
>>  Mike
>>  Sent from my iPad
>>
>>    On Jul 27, 2021, at 13:30, John Donahue <demongusta at gmail.com>
>>    wrote:
>>
>>    For those of us that don't know, what is the Vadar window system?
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>
>>    Jack

>>    On Jul 27, 2021, at 12:17 PM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso
>>    <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>>
>>    Great thanks!
>>
>>    Mike
>>
>>    Sent from my iPad
>>
>>      On Jul 27, 2021, at 12:14, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>
>>
>>      wrote:
>>
>>    Mike,
>>
>>    Rick posted on the PI Forum last year that he is still manufacturing
>>
>>    the Vader window units and selling at $750 a pair.

> [...]

   [1]http://www.markscars.ca/Pantera_Projects_2.html

   Cheers,
   Mark Charlton

        On Jul 27, 2021, at 13:30, John Donahue <[8]demongusta at gmail.com>