[DeTomaso] aluminum head removal update, maybe

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:35:16 EST 2021

Some of mine rusted too, but not so bad as to make them hard to remove.

Once I got the heads off, I could tell the bolt holes were compressed at the top of the head, and only on the exhaust side.  I used a drill to open them back up, and it only cut the top 1-2 inches of the head.

I've been using very wide/thick washers to help spread the load.  So far, that has solved the problem.

I have seen head bolt bushings that fit inside the bolt hole maybe 1/4" to prevent the compression.  Search for TFS-51400419, and you'll see what I mean.  I considered using these, but didn't need to since the wide washers solved the problem.

Good luck getting the rest out.