[DeTomaso] Aluminum head removal

Steven Edwards gsedwards at cox.net
Tue Jan 19 11:21:21 EST 2021

Thanks for the replies.
It took me two days to get one head off. Have not tried the heat method.
What I di was suspend the engine with a hoist by the head. Used a wedge and hammered it into the slot in the middle of the block and head.
And a lot of oil. When it separated some. Then used a large pry bar and worked it up. Using the gasket as a barrio to protect the head. It moved about .020” at a time but made progress.
Got the head off and I see where the oil leak was at. Seems to have been a problem to begin with, see the sealant?
Onto the next, may try the heat on the other, I found that the studs on the exhaust side are rusted.

Steven Edwards