[DeTomaso] Gruppo 4

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Wed Aug 4 17:58:27 EDT 2021

I thought you might find the attached SVRA tech/regulations sheet for the
Pantera interesting.  As noted, the Pantera would run in Group 5, 6, or 10
- depending on the level of mods.
Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
*The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 480-442-0297

www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 2:46 PM Steve Lisa <stevelisa at patentit.com> wrote:

> [...]
> probably kick the FIA GRoup 3 Pantera into the same racing group as the
> much faster FIA Group 4 Pantera (SVRA Groups 6, 7, or 10 depending on level
> of prep).  I am pretty sure that for me to go to an SVRA event and run in
> SVRA Group 5, I would need to undo some of the mods I made.  Not so for
> HSR, which is just thrilled to see a Pantera Group 3 racing (even though it
> is customer-built and not a factory one).
>
> Finally, I can't agree with you more regarding the cage.  We put a true
> racing cage in SN5533 (but limited to the same six points of attachment
> allowed by the FIA).  I simply won't race with something that isn't safe.
> Same with fuel cell, fire system, etc.  That is also one reason we decided
> to do the brake upgrade, we didn't feel safe racing the original brakes,
> and if that keeps us alive and kicked out of SVRA -- but racing HSR -- I am
> good with that.
>
> Again, major thanks to this group for helping along the way.
>

> Regards,
>
> Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
> *The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC*
> Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
> Direct: 480-442-0297
>
> www.PatentIt.com <http://www.patentit.com/>
>
> *Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
> East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
>
> *Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
> Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
> This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
> confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
> error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

> www.avg.com
> <#m_1248869831295868711_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM <jderyke at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, there are two factory built Gr-3s in the U.S. (one in British
>> Columbia, the other in So-Cal). As well as Guy Trigaux's factory GR-4 in N
>> Carolina and Les Gray's factory GT-4 in So-Cal. Considering that there were
>> only 34 Gr-3s and 14 GR-4/GT-4s ever factory-built, we have a high
>> proportion of these rare racers 'locally'.  Note also they are all owned by
>> POCA members....   The other 12 GR-4s are scattered all over the world- one
>> is still in Australia with its original owner from the '70s, I believe.
>>
>> Steve, do you have the original homologation papers for the Pantera?
>> Makes quite interesting reading and maybe could settle arguments with some
>> Vintage inspectors. They're all in the POCA Archives along with the
>> official 14 pg Gr-3/GR-4 Parts Lists. Note to OEM fanatics: the homologated
>> factory roll cage may be desirable for collectors of static displays but if
>> you want to drive your racer as it should be driven, it's no longer an
>> acceptable safety part in the U.S. The cage's welded tube wall thickness is
>> 0.060" while the SCCA requires 0.090" nowadays. Not sure about European

-------------- next part --------------
   I thought you might find the attached SVRA tech/regulations sheet for
   the Pantera interesting.A  As noted, the Pantera would run in Group 5,
   6, or 10 - depending on the level of mods.A A
   Regards,A
   Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC
   Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.comA
   Direct: 480-442-0297
   [1]www.PatentIt.com
   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
   confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
   error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank
   you.

   On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 2:46 PM Steve Lisa <[3]stevelisa at patentit.com>
   Thanks for that great information.A  I am hoping one day to be able to
   crawl all over, under, and in one of the factory Group 3 Panteras.A
   I seem to recall that Mike Higgins here in AZ also had several
   Pantera's sitting dusty under tarps in his Tempe shop.A  I don't recall
   if they were racecars -- but knowing they were with Higgins would lead
   me to believe they were race cars.A  A I am not sure what happened to
   those.A  Anyone know?
   There are also, of course, numerous Pantera's racing in the
   over-the-road events like the Silver State, but as far as I can tell,
   none of them are built to the FIA Group 3 or Group 4 rules.A
   I do have all the full FIA homologation materials - mostly sent from
   Mike Drew and others (thanks!!!).A  This group is amazing.A  I had most
   of the early ones (1972-1974) translated to English to make sure I was
   reading them correctly.A A
   I am sure the Group 4 Pantera's would not be allowed in "HSR Group 3"
   -- which is where an early 1972-FIA prep Group 3 Pantera is allowed.A
   That also holds true for SVRA Group 5 - which requires theA Pantera to
   be prepped "Pre-1973."A  However, many of the later mods that the FIA
   allowed for the Group 3 Pantera's after January 1, 1973, would
   disqualify even a Group 3 Pantera from racing in SVRA Group 5 -- but
   most of those mods won't kick it out of HSR Group 3.A  The HSR is a
   little more lax, e.g., even though I did a brake upgrade, HSR was ok
   with it.A  (BTW - my last email with the pictures of our build
   mistakenly said the SVRA approved the brake upgrade -- that was not
   right -- HSR allowed it, and I am pretty sure that the SVRA would
   not).A A
   Anyway, my goal was to back-date my 1973 Pantera to run in accordance
   with the December 1972 FIA Group 3 rules, and then to make whatever
   additional mods I could get away with that kept me in the spirit of the
   pre-1973 rules to prevent from getting kicked into theA faster/higher
   mod groups.A  However,A the Pantera complying with the "pre-1973" FIA
   Group 3 rules was simply no fun to drive.A  So, I tried to walk the
   line on further mods.A  When someone complains, I will do what it takes
   to make them happy.A  So far, so good.A A
   But, that leads me to the curious question of how many of the "later"
   mods after 12/72 were made to the currently-racing or currently-known
   Group 3 Panteras? Because, at least for the SVRA Group 5, those later
   mods will probably kick the FIA GRoup 3 Pantera into the same racing
   group as the much faster FIA Group 4 Pantera (SVRA Groups 6, 7, or 10
   depending on level of prep).A  I am pretty sure that for me to go to an
   SVRA event and run in SVRA Group 5, I would need to undo some of the
   mods I made.A  Not so for HSR, which is just thrilled to see a Pantera
   Group 3 racing (even though it is customer-built and not a factory
   one).A  A  A  A A
   Finally, I can't agree with you more regarding the cage.A  We put a
   true racing cage in SN5533 (but limited to the same six points of
   attachment allowed by the FIA).A  I simply won't race with something
   that isn't safe. Same with fuel cell, fire system, etc.A  That is also
   [4]www.PatentIt.com
   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   This email is intended only for the recipient above and may contain
   confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
   error please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank
   you.

   FWIW, there are two factory built Gr-3s in the U.S. (one in British
   Columbia, the other in So-Cal). As well as Guy Trigaux's factory GR-4
   in N Carolina and Les Gray's factory GT-4 in So-Cal. Considering that
   there were only 34 Gr-3s and 14 GR-4/GT-4s ever factory-built, we have
   a high proportion of these rare racers 'locally'.A  Note also they are
   all owned by POCA members....A  A The other 12 GR-4s are scattered all
   over the world- one is still in Australia with its original owner from
   the '70s, I believe.A