[DeTomaso] Need Collective Wisdom: To Undercoat or Not?

Rich Hoppe richbhoppe at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:32:17 EDT 2020

We drive out cars so much to worry about a paint chip on the bottom of the
car :).
Rich

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso <

-------------- next part --------------
   We drive out cars so much to worry about a paint chip on the bottom of
   the car :).
   Rich

   On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 3:28 PM Jack DeRyke via DeTomaso

     A  A Probably should be undercoated for long term preservation, by a
     A  A COMPETENT shop. A Nor-Cal owner bought a GT5-S that had been
     inexpertly
     A  A undercoated. The tar-based material got inside the e-brake
     actuator
     A  A cable jackets and froze them in the 'on' position when it
     solidified.
     A  A After burning off two sets of e-brake pads (not easily sourced
     at the
     A  A time; not sure today), the fix was to remove the rear e-brake
     actuator
     A  A cables, pull the cables as free as possible from the steel
     jackets and
     A  A soak the assembly in a solvent bath for an extended period,
     with
     A  A rinsing, to remove the tar. Not much fun, reportedly.
     A  A Repeat, find a competent undercoating shop- J DeRyke.
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Jeff Detrich <[2]jjdetrich at gmail.com>
     A  A To: Mike Drew <[3]mikeldrew at aol.com>
     A  A Cc: Detomas List <[4]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>;
     [5]fred4man at att.net
     A  A Sent: Sat, Sep 19, 2020 2:22 pm
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Need Collective Wisdom: To Undercoat or
     Not?
     A  A  A Itas important to preserve an original finish with the
     Grifo.....
     A  A  A But not the Pantera???
     A  A  A Jeff hahaha
     A  A  A 6559
     A  A  A On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 4:11 PM Mike Drew via DeTomaso