[DeTomaso] Techno question: the negative ground battery cable

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Sep 19 22:13:10 EDT 2020

Dear Forum,

                I am an electrical ignoramus.  I am working on a friend's
Pantera and I noticed that his battery negative cable does not connect to
the ground stud near the back of the battery.  A previous owner cut a hole
and routed an new cable all the way back under the car to ground it the
bottom of the ZF.

                The car has not been functional for about twenty five years
and my friend has mostly resurrected it.  He tells me that with about five
hundred miles of driving his dash board instruments and lights seem to work
fine.

                 Is it important to run a short cable to the ground stud in
addition to the apparently functional new ground cable directly to the ZF?

                                 Warmest regards, Chuck Engles