[DeTomaso] Need Collective Wisdom: To Undercoat or Not?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 18:28:04 EDT 2020

 Probably should be undercoated for long term preservation, by a COMPETENT shop. A Nor-Cal owner bought a GT5-S that had been inexpertly undercoated. The tar-based material got inside the e-brake actuator cable jackets and froze them in the 'on' position when it solidified. After burning off two sets of e-brake pads (not easily sourced at the time; not sure today), the fix was to remove the rear e-brake actuator cables, pull the cables as free as possible from the steel jackets and soak the assembly in a solvent bath for an extended period, with rinsing, to remove the tar. Not much fun, reportedly.

Repeat, find a competent undercoating shop- J DeRyke.