[DeTomaso] My 72 #4336 on BaT - UPDATE

Matt Wells nwpantera at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:39:23 EDT 2020

Mark,
Sorry your auction didn't produce the desired results. Yep all the experts
come out of the woodwork with any car on BAT.
It seems some posters' main agenda is to simply increase the number of
comments next to their screen name!
 Accentuate the positives, eliminate possible negatives. All humans share
basic traits that come into play whether we realize it or not.
This is especially true with discretionary spending on dream cars like a
Pantera.
I saw your post requesting possible reasons the price wasn't bid higher.
For your benefit I wanted to share my impressions and touch on a few things
FWIW.

1. With as many upgrades as your car has in the pics I didn't see those
noted and the benefits described in the narrative as much as they should
have been!
When I see a description of a car that includes an excessive list of
upgrades and the benefits derived I just tend to trust that most small
details have been given proper attention.
As a potential owner it gives me more confidence in the car and the seller
and is reflected in my bidding.
Besides if you've covered everything you can in the description it
hopefully will satisfy most silly questions along the way.

2. The video. Well in a word... BORING !
It was about 4 minutes too long. I personally enjoyed riding along as a
Pantera owner but if I'm looking to plunk down some coin, I wanna see power!
You have to give em a short teaser hinting at the potential of the car they
desire.
They already have a preconceived notion of what it's like driving a Pantera,
You have to confirm that idea by showing off a little with short burst of
full throttle and some aggressive moves.
There has to be somewhere in Texas to do that. Make their spine tingle!
Even though you don't normally drive that way, explain that for
"demonstration purposes only" I'm going to show you what you could possibly
own yourself.
As a buyer I want to see my dream of driving a powerful Pantera proven with
a demonstration shown to me in a video. Not a ride along trip to the
grocery store ;-)

3. The repair and mods. Complete transparency on all issues transcends the
issue itself.
 As a bidder I can usually handle most any problem as long as it's
presented to me openly and honestly. If I have to ask, it's a red flag and
my bidding will reflect that.
The last thing you want is to give some expert a reason to comment. Be
proactive especially considering the highly interactive format of BAT.
No mention of repairs or needed repairs, good or bad, in the description is
inviting negativity and of course, more expert comments!
You did mention about the rebuilt (what was rebuilt?) A/C needing to be
refilled and the interior light not working(why?).
That's admirable but had it been noted what the possible fix would entail
and cost it would eliminate unknown doubt lurking in the back of my mind.
Fix the little things to eliminate any negative thoughts or concerns that
would be in my subconscious while I'm bidding my money away for my dream
car.

I've tried to be honest and impartial in my observations and suggestions in
case you do another auction. Please do not take my comments personally.
It's just that BAT is unique with it's interactive format, much more so
than other selling options and exposes any weakness.
I admire your fortitude to even list your car on BAT! But as a longtime BAT
lurker I've seen it happen time and time again.
Accentuate the positives, eliminate the negative unknowns.
I've owned my car for just 21 years but it's hard to look at it objectively
when it comes to an expected return.
Sentimentality can come into play and sometimes the market just isn't there
to support that expected value.
It all depends on an owner's reasoning to sell and pass it on to the next
caretaker!
Here's the three BAT P's-
Preparedness, presentation and the resulting perceptions are the keys to
success I've observed on BAT. Yes it's more prep work but the bidding
should reflect your efforts.
Or you can always lower your reserve ;-)))
Happy trails,
Matt

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Mark Pinson via DeTomaso <

-------------- next part --------------
   Mark,
   Sorry your auction didn't produce the desired results. Yep all the
   experts come out of the woodwork with any car on BAT.
   It seems some posters' main agenda is to simply increase the number of
   comments next to their screen name!
   A Accentuate the positives, eliminate possible negatives. All humans
   share basic traits that come into play whetherA we realize it or not.
   This is especially true with discretionary spending on dream cars like
   a Pantera.
   I saw your post requesting possible reasons the price wasn't bid
   higher.
   For your benefit I wanted to share my impressions and touch on a few
   things FWIW.
   1. With as many upgrades as your car has in the pics I didn't see those
   noted and the benefits described in the narrative as much as they
   should have been!
   When I see a description of a car that includes an excessive list of
   upgrades and the benefits derived I just tend to trust that most small
   details have been given proper attention.
   As a potential owner it gives me more confidence in the car and the
   seller and isA reflected in my bidding.
   Besides if you've covered everything you can in the descriptionA it
   hopefully will satisfy most silly questionsA along the way.
   2. The video. Well in a word... BORING !
   It was about 4 minutes too long. I personally enjoyed riding along as a
   Pantera owner but if I'm looking to plunk down someA coin, I wanna see
   power!
   You have to give em a short teaser hinting at the potential of the car
   they desire.
   They already have a preconceived notion of what it's like driving a
   Pantera,
   You have to confirm that idea by showing off a little with short burst
   of full throttle and some aggressive moves.
   There hasA to be somewhere in Texas to do that. Make their spine
   tingle!
   Even though you don't normally drive that way, explain that for
   "demonstration purposes only" I'm going to show you what you could
   possibly own yourself.
   As a buyer I want toA see my dream of driving a powerful Pantera proven
   with a demonstration shown to me in a video. NotA a ride along trip to
   the grocery store ;-)
   3. The repair and mods. Complete transparency on all issues
   transcendsA the issue itself.
   A As a bidder I can usually handle most any problem as long as it's
   presented to me openly and honestly. If I have to ask, it's a red flag
   and my bidding will reflect that.
   The last thing you want is to give some expert a reason to comment. Be
   proactive especially considering the highly interactive format of BAT.
   No mention of repairs or needed repairs, good or bad, in the
   description is inviting negativity and of course, more expert comments!
   You did mention about the rebuilt (what was rebuilt?) A/C needing to be
   refilled and the interior light not working(why?).
   That's admirable but had it been noted what the possible fix would
   entail and cost it would eliminate unknown doubt lurking in the back of
   my mind.
   Fix the little things to eliminateA any negative thoughts or concerns
[...]

     A  A My car didn't meet the reserve on Bring a Trailer, so it looks
     like
     A  A I'll be keeping it at least for the time being.A  Can't really
     say I'm
     A  A sorry, because the prospective sale was bittersweet.
     A  A The funniest part about the whole thing was the number of
     Pantera
     A  A "experts" that are out there who were eager to share their
     expertise
     A  A with me.A  Just proves again what a valuable resource the REAL
     Pantera
     A  A community is to Pantera owners.
     A  A Thanks to all; I hope to see you down the road very soon!
     A  A Mark
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Mark Pinson <[2]mark.pinson at verizon.net>
     A  A To: [3]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
     <[4]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>
     A  A Sent: Wed, Sep 9, 2020 10:02 am
     A  A Subject: My 72 #4336 on BaT
     A  A Well folks, after 23 years of ownership I've decided it's time
     A  A re-home my Pantera.A  The car runs, drives and looks better
     than it ever
     A  A has and I'll be sad to see it go.A  If anyone is looking for a
     great
     A  A P-car from a long-time Pantera owner, check this one out.A  I
     would love
     A  A for it to go to someone already in the Pantera community.
     A  A [5]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-49/
     etc.) use the links above.