[DeTomaso] [EXTERNAL] Re: Seatbelts

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:26:40 EST 2020

Wait til you retire, it gets busier.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 9:57 PM Himes, Terry (US 397C) <
terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> TGO Sequence Lead
> MEX Sequence Lead
> Odyssey Sequence Team
> Spitzer Space Telescope Data Team
>
> Phone: (818) 393-6261
> Cell:     (818) 653-8213
> thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
>

> On 2/28/20, 8:59 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Mike Drew via DeTomaso" <
> detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
> detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>
>     My recollection is the force of the tumbling threw his body sideways
> to the right, bending him over the center console which broke his ribs and
> punctured his right lung. But I believe the belt held?
>
>     Art Stephens is his name. He almost immediately bought another
> Pantera, but I haven’t seen nor heard from him in years?
>
>     Mike
>
>     Sent from my iPad
>
>     > On Feb 28, 2020, at 08:53, Ken Green via DeTomaso <
> detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >    My recollection that the driver said the shoulder strap released
>     >   (broke?) and did not hold him erect, which may have saved him.
>     >   Ken
>     >
>     >   On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 10:39:31 PM PST, Garth Rodericks
> via
>     >   DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
>     >     The "day before pics" are from Concorso, but they're not the day
>     >     before.  The accident occurred following the Fun Rally in Las
> Vegas.
>     >     But, you can see what a beautiful car it was.
>     >     On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 04:56:44 PM PST, Garth Rodericks
>     >     <[1]garth_rodericks at yahoo.com> wrote:
>     >     Attached are few couple pics of "hearsay 1" - a couple from the
> day
>     >     before at Concorso I believe, then the day after...  You'd never
> know
>     >     it's the same car.
>     >     Although I heard it reported that the section of highway had some
>     >     rolling dips so to speak, which would unload the suspension;
> there
>     >   was
>     >     also a cross-wind, so the car got blown right off the road when
> the
>     >     suspension unloaded at the super-illegal speeds.
>     >     The owner was quite fortunate.  Injuries were more than a broken
>     >   wrist
>     >     and concussion, but not what you would expect after seeing the
> car.
>     >     Arguably, he would not have survived if he had a 4- or 5-point
> race
>     >     harness since the car had no roll-bar or cage.  The stock 3-point
>     >     harness allowed his body to get pushed over to the right as the
> roof
>     >     was collapsed onto the seatback.
>     >     Something to think about before putting racing harnesses in car

-------------- next part --------------
   Wait til you retire, it gets busier.A

   On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 9:57 PM Himes, Terry (US 397C)
   <[1]terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

   I donata and it is killing me.A  I love my Pantera. I love my guitar,
   and I love space.A

   So much to do and so little time.A  You guys know what I mean.A  Life
   is too short!!!

   "A Purple Heart proves you were smart enough to hatch aA plan,

   A stupid enough to try itA and lucky enough to survive!"

   Terry W. HimesA

   JPLA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

   Deep Space Exploration a Mission Operations

   Dawn Spacecraft Team

   Juno Systems & Software Team

   TGO Sequence Lead

   MEX Sequence Lead

   Odyssey Sequence Team

   Spitzer Space Telescope Data Team

   Phone: (818) 393-6261

   Cell:A A A A  (818) 653-8213

   [2]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov

   signature_117325739

   Terry, how do have time for cars! Looks like a 6 beer story.

   Jeff

   6559A

   On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 11:09 AM Himes, Terry (US 397C) via DeTomaso

     I had the same type of accident. Only it was in my Porsche 944. It
     had similar seat-belt
     configuration.A  I rolled 3 times over an embankment and landed
     wheels down. Totally
     crushed the car. Lots of head cuts due to flying glass. Black & Blue
     where the seatbelt
     and shoulder harness held me in.A  This happened in 1998, just north
     of Rosarito, Mexico.
     You can imagine what happened after the car came to rest and the
     Federales showed up.
     Definitely a 3 beer story.A  I should write a book. ;-/
     Terry
     A stupid enough to try it and lucky enough to survive!"
     Terry W. Himes
     JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
     Deep Space Exploration a Mission Operations
     Dawn Spacecraft Team
     Juno Systems & Software Team
     TGO Sequence Lead
     MEX Sequence Lead
     Odyssey Sequence Team
     Spitzer Space Telescope Data Team
     Phone: (818) 393-6261
     Cell:A  A  A (818) 653-8213
     [10]thimes at jpl.nasa.gov
     On 2/28/20, 8:59 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Mike Drew via DeTomaso"
     <[11]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
     [12]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
     A  A  My recollection is the force of the tumbling threw his body
     sideways to the right, bending him over the center console which
     broke his ribs and punctured his right lung. But I believe the belt
     held?
     A  A  Art Stephens is his name. He almost immediately bought another
     Pantera, but I havenat seen nor heard from him in years?
     A  A  Mike
     A  A  Sent from my iPad
     A  A  > On Feb 28, 2020, at 08:53, Ken Green via DeTomaso
     A  A  >
     A  A  >A  A  My recollection that the driver said the shoulder strap
     released
     A  A  >A  A (broke?) and did not hold him erect, which may have
     saved him.
     A  A  >A  A Ken
     A  A  >
     A  A  >A  A On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 10:39:31 PM PST, Garth
     Rodericks via
     A  A  >A  A DeTomaso <[14]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:
     A  A  >A  A  A The "day before pics" are from Concorso, but they're
     not the day
     A  A  >A  A  A before.A  The accident occurred following the Fun
     Rally in Las Vegas.
     A  A  >A  A  A But, you can see what a beautiful car it was.
     A  A  >A  A  A On Thursday, February 27, 2020, 04:56:44 PM PST,
     Garth Rodericks
     A  A  >A  A  A <[1][15]garth_rodericks at yahoo.com> wrote:
     A  A  >A  A  A Attached are few couple pics of "hearsay 1" - a
     couple from the day
     A  A  >A  A  A before at Concorso I believe, then the day after...A
     You'd never know
     A  A  >A  A  A it's the same car.
     A  A  >A  A  A Although I heard it reported that the section of
     highway had some
     A  A  >A  A  A rolling dips so to speak, which would unload the
     suspension; there
     A  A  >A  A was
     A  A  >A  A  A also a cross-wind, so the car got blown right off the
     road when the
     A  A  >A  A  A suspension unloaded at the super-illegal speeds.
     A  A  >A  A  A The owner was quite fortunate.A  Injuries were more
     than a broken
     A  A  >A  A wrist
     A  A  >A  A  A and concussion, but not what you would expect after
     seeing the car.
     A  A  >A  A  A Arguably, he would not have survived if he had a 4-
     or 5-point race
     A  A  >A  A  A harness since the car had no roll-bar or cage.A  The
     stock 3-point
     A  A  >A  A  A harness allowed his body to get pushed over to the
     right as the roof
     A  A  >A  A  A was collapsed onto the seatback.
     A  A  >A  A  A Something to think about before putting racing
     harnesses in car
     A  A  >A  A that's
     A  A  >A  A  A not equipped with a cage.
     A  A  >A  A  A ---- original message ----
     A  A  >A  A Glad to see Steve and Julian's comments on the stock
     3-point, which I
     A  A  >A  A prefer for
     A  A  >A  A our mostly- street use. I note that in the serious
     crashes I've heard
     A  A  >A  A about, th
     A  A  >A  A e stock system protects well. Sure- it's possible to get
     killed but
     A  A  >A  A this apparen
     A  A  >A  A tly doesn't happen often.
     A  A  >A  A Hear-say #1: A few years ago, a So-Cal owner
     (apparently) blew a tire
     A  A  >A  A at a verif
     A  A  >A  A ied-by-GPS 187mph on a deserted Nevada highway while
     'testing' a new
     A  A  >A  A high-horse
     A  A  >A  A engine. The car rolled & somersaulted end-over end
     several times. Front
     A  A  >A  A of the r
     A  A  >A  A oof was bent almost level with the hood while the rear
     half- with him
     A  A  >A  A inside- wa
     A  A  >A  A s at almost stock height. Speedo was torn out of the
     badly damaged
     A  A  >A  A dashboard. He
     A  A  >A  A got a broken wrist & slight concussion. Stock belts.
     A  A  >A  A Hear-say #2 happened on a convoy to 'Vegas; the last car
     in the group
     A  A  >A  A passing a
     A  A  >A  A pickup on a 2-lane CA country road did "something" that
     caused the car
     A  A  >A  A to go off
     A  A  >A  A the road and barrel-rolled, completely clearing a std
     barbed wire fence
     A  A  >A  A to land
     A  A  >A  A wheels-up in a field. Driver & passenger were reportedly
     shaken but
     A  A  >A  A unhurt. Sto
     A  A  >A  A ck belts.
     A  A  >A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A  >A  A From: Steve Lisa <[1]stevelisa at [16]patentit.com>
     A  A  >A  A To: Julian Kift <[2]julian_kift at [17]hotmail.com>
     A  A  >A  A Cc; Detomaso List <[3]detomaso at
     [18]server.detomasolist.com>
     A  A  >A  A Sent: Thu, Feb 27, 2020 8:37 am
     A  A  >A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Seatbelts
     A  A  >A  A  A My two cents:AA  Julian is absolutely right.A A
     A  A  >A  A  A In addition to our racecars, we have severalA "track
     day" cars.AA  My
     A  A  >A  A  A son is a technical inspector for NASA, and both he
     and I have
     A  A  >A  A  A instructed.AA  90% of theA "track day" people have
     their race
     A  A  >A  A harnesses
     A  A  >A  A  A installed incorrectly, and even my Dodge Viper ACR
     "track day" car
     A  A  >A  A has
     A  A  >A  A  A the cutoutsA in the seat and harness bar too high and
     it fails to
     A  A  >A  A hold
     A  A  >A  A  A you down in the seat.AA  They are so high that they
     render a HANS
     A  A  >A  A device
     A  A  >A  A  A useless.AA  So, even though the ACR comes from Dodge
     with both the
     A  A  >A  A three
     A  A  >A  A  A point system and full harnesses, we prefer the three
     pointA belts and
     A  A  >A  A  A adjust them tightly if all we are doing is a track
     day.AA  A NASA
     A  A  >A  A allows
     A  A  >A  A  A you use the three point system during their TT
     competition events -
     A  A  >A  A  A indeed mandates it if your harness bar is not
     designed strictly in
     A  A  >A  A  A accordance with the rules.A
     A  A  >A  A  A That said, a properly designed and placed harness bar
     with a
     A  A  >A  A  A well-matched seat is safer.AA  But, you need to make
     sure it is
     A  A  >A  A designed
     A  A  >A  A  A correctly and worn properly.A A
     A  A  >A  A  A Regards,A
     A  A  >A  A  A Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
     A  A  >A  A  A The Law Offices of Lisa & Lesko, LLC
     A  A  >A  A  A Email: [4]SteveLisa at PatentIt.comA
     A  A  >A  A  A Direct: 480-442-0297
     A  A  >A  A  A [1][19]www.PatentIt.com
     A  A  >A  A  A Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656AA  |A A F:A
     480.535.6628A
     A  A  >A  A  A |A A A:A [20]7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2,
     Scottsdale, AZ 85260
     A  A  >A  A  A Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357AA  |AA  F:
     312.896.5633AA  |AA  A: [21]55
     A  A  >A  A [22]E.
     A  A  >A  A  A [23]Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
     A  A  >A  A  A This email is intended only for the recipient above
     and may contain
     A  A  >A  A  A confidential and privileged information. If you
     received this email
     A  A  >A  A in
     A  A  >A  A  A error please destroy it and indicate such by return
     email to me.
     A  A  >A  A Thank
     A  A  >A  A  A you.
     A  A  >A  A  A On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 9:00 AM Julian Kift