[DeTomaso] Stripped Rear Swaybar Bracket Stud

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 22:32:17 EST 2020

Mike,

I found I had two broken studs on my rear swaybar chassis mount. My solution may be of interest to you.

The stud is not a hex head bolt but a round headed stud that is welded to the chassis crossmember . On the early cars such as 2511 it it is possible to access the stud heads from the bottom of the crossmember. I believe the later cars had this area completely boxed and enclosed.

I elected to cut all four studs flush with the crossmember. I then drilled and tapped for 3/8” X 24 TPI bolts. Between the sheet-metal and the stud head there is close to 1/4” of available metal to tap. While that might be minimally sufficient I elected to also place four nuts on the backside.

The stock studs were 8mm and in hindsight I probably should have just kept things all metric and used 10mm bolts.

YMMV

Larry