[DeTomaso] Electric anyone?

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 12:04:10 EDT 2020

It would be an interesting project. If they can convert a 1968 Porsche 911 with Tesla running gear and find a place for the batteries, there would certainly be room in a Pantera...

I wouldn't mind owning this one being raffled off in a fundraiser for the Petersen Automobile Museum:
https://www.omaze.com/products/zelectric-1968-porsche-911

Maybe one of those project Panteras out there would be a suitable candidate...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-detomaso-pantera-44/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-De-Tomaso-Pantera-Pantera-/283855936498
Actually, that last one wouldn't be worth the trouble.  The seller is clearly on crack based on the asking price, and it would need too much money and work to put it back to something resembling a Pantera.

As far as drivetrains are concerned, modestly damaged donor Tesla's are readily available quite inexpensively - for just about the same money as a professionally rebuilt Cleveland...
https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/tesla
https://www.copart.com/popular/make/tesla?query=tesla&free

FWIW, for several years I've thought it would be fun to splash a mold from a Vallelunga and build my own EV Vallelunga replica.  That would be cool!