[DeTomaso] Wheel bearing check

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Sun Jun 30 15:34:12 EDT 2019

Hi Robert,
The stock bearing manufacture, SKF, recommends .0002 to .0005 inner press fit onto the axle. The stock axle came .0002 oversize, right on the minimum recommendation for the bearing. So when they spin on the axle when they begin to wear out, it doesn't take much to wear the axle undersize to require a $450 axle change out with the bearings. It usually doesn't stop there if left to spin, it then takes out the two bearing spacers as well. We make our billet axles .0005 oversize, so they are a bear to press on, but they don't let the bearing spin ever again, thus longer bearing life. I put these in my Pantera and competed in dozens of road and open road race events, pulling 2.5G's on corners, and topped 200 MPH on highway events, and never had a rear wheel bearing problem in 20 years. Enough said about the bearing design, it's all about the axle. Go ahead and drive, then send me your uprights to rebuild, and we will replace with some solid billet axles with new bearings and you will be good.
Larry@ Pantera Parts Connection 1-800-DeTomaso, (338-6627)