[DeTomaso] Metal particles in Transaxle

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 18:27:29 EDT 2019

Wayne,

Here's my recollection of when I looked into this extensively:

Does the bottle of Castrol say GL-5, for hypoid differentials?

If so, you are damaging your ZF in using it. Hypoid gears require a different chemical makeup because of the great deal of sliding the gears do over each other. (Look up hypoid gears online.) There are no hypoid gears in a ZF transaxle.

The chemicals that make the hypoid gear oil able to sustain that sliding friction without breaking down are sulfur-based (hence the smell). These sulfur chemicals bind so strongly to the metal that softer metals (like brass) that when they come off, they take some of the metal with them.  Hence the synchro rings are damaged.

The correct thing is to get a GL-4 oil like Red Line MT-85.  If you find the limited slip clutches are binding too tightly and you get noise from the inside tire when you are starting out when turning, like at a stoplight, you can add a little bit of limited slip additive to make the oil a little more slippery.   But if you add too much you'll make your synchro rings ineffective, so you have to add a little bit at a time until the grabbing problem is solved to your liking.

The upshot is that yes, you can use GL-5 oil in a ZF, but you'll be damaging your synchro rings and gears.   Synchros require some friction between the rings to work. If the oil is too slippery, the spinning ring does not make the next one spin like it is supposed to, so the next gear is not brought up to speed.  And ZF work is not cheap.

Sorry if something here is not right, but I'm pretty sure the conclusion is correct.  Ferrari transaxles are basically the same in terms of design, and those guys are totally anal about this stuff.

Jim.