[DeTomaso] Lead Substitute

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 5 10:41:08 EDT 2019

Wayne,

Ford engines reportedly had high nickel content in their cast iron and lead additives aren’t generally considered necessary, especially considering the low mileages our cars typically see. That is what I have been told by people who purport to know such things—I claim no particular expertise here.

More concerning is the propensity for stock valves to break in two which can wreak havoc on the engine block and pistons. I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it, but if at some point you decide a valve job is necessary, definitely do NOT reuse the stock valves and instead insist on Manley or other one-piece stainless valves.

Mike

Sent from my iPad