[DeTomaso] Lead Substitute

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 23:19:02 EDT 2019

I would lose sleep over it but only if you are ... exuberant.  I put a
motor together and the valves looked fine (CJ heads so 4V valves
without the quench area) and I heard that the redline was 6000 and I
put rollers in my rockers (Crane had a kit) and I bumped the camshaft
up to a Crane with .554 lift so for sure I was going to go faster!

Well, I did go faster and my engine ventilated itself when the valve
sank after the top of the stem popped off.  I was miserable.

There is no reason to shift above 4800 on a stock motor ever really,
so if you have a little fun and take it easy you'll be fine.  Don't
get all indy 500 on it or you will be sad.

Now I have 1 piece valves with a stock cam and I live in abundance and joy.

I took a bunch of pictures of the water pouring out of the crankcase
in 1996 with a fancy electronic camera but in another fit of "what
does this button do" they were all magically erased.  Ah well.

sean

--
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382