[DeTomaso] Not Starting-Check Battery

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 19:54:41 EDT 2017

In a message dated 7/24/17 6 45 4, djenkins at vanguardtrailer.com writes:

> Most of the Pantera owners on this site probably know this but I am only
> modestly mechanically inclined. I went to start and instead had a loud
> clicking noise. My first thought was a bad starter relay but I had enough
> sense to check the battery which tested at 11.4V. The parts store manager
> told me the battery usually needs to be fully charged for the relay to
> engaged. Turns out he was right. I charged the battery and it started
> fine.
> Since my generator light was not coming on I now assume I need a new
> voltage
> regulator.
>

>>>I wouldn't assume that at all!

First of all, how long had you allowed the car to sit since the last time
you ran it?   Batteries will drain down over time, ESPECIALLY if they are
left connected electrically.   If you haven't run the car for several months,
and left the battery hooked up, it's not unexpected that it might be a bit
weak, too weak to close the solenoid.

When you charged the battery up, and the car started normally, did the
ammeter displace to the charge side, indicating the charging system was feeding
power back into the battery to replenish it?

How old is your battery?   They don't last forever, and if it's more than
five years old, it wouldn't surprise me if it failed to hold a charge as well
as it once did.

You can keep the car on a battery tender (fantastic idea) or disconnect it
when not in use (fantastic idea), or a combination of the two (even more
fantastic idea), and greatly extend its life.

I would almost guarantee that there's nothing wrong with your charging
system, and instead you are suffering from a slightly aged battery combined with
minor parasitic electrical losses due to it being left connected to the
car.

Can you confirm that?