[DeTomaso] NPC Photo storage; was Gas tank removal/chassis rust

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Jan 10 10:37:27 EST 2016

Don't forget monthly maintenance.  If you leave that up to the vendor it will get very expensive quick.
Someone within the POCA family needs to step up to that task.  Here are the category of items to maintain
from Club Express and me;

Maintenance:
    $?? <--  Club Express (CE) monthly cost if not done by POCA
        Updating home page
        Updating website content
                 Calendars
                 General Contact pages
                  etc etc etc
        Posting news items
        Uploading photos and building photo pages $$$  (not sure why ??)
        Uploading documents
        Creating events
        Updating committees, interests, contracts, etc.
My Adds:
Membership mass emails (as needed)
Accounting Mgmt.
Merchant Account Mgmt
Help Desk On-Line Support.  Not sure if this included in the "monthly fee"

Review:

Just inspecting their site code "Club Express" and many of their customers, they look legitimate.  Although I cannot
determine what they host their backend servers on.  If it is Windoze, I (personally) would bail-out immediately.  We
are Bill Gates Free at JPL in Flight Operations for very obvious security reasons.  I also cannot determine what database
they are using for the back-end.

All "Club Express" customers seem to use the same template.  That's done to keep costs down and helps with security
and support as well.  Custom website can get very expensive.

Admin functions seem to the same as many other Club/HOA vertical market hosting websites.  Pretty simple interactive
configuration and setup.  No technical expertise needed.

I was very disappointed to find that they DO NOT support mobile technology.  Club Express is not optimized to run on our
evil  mobile devices such as smart phones, iPads, etc.  This is a real concern.

Club Express offers easy access to a backend database, but they do not say what it is?   I also could not find any examples
of any search capabilities for those databases.   In POCA I know that will become a big deal for two (2) reasons.  1) if we start
putting a knowledge-base together for Pantera Tech-support, and 2) search all members and photo's.  Document libraries can
be difficult to create and maintain. Large database capacity and strong search capability is absolutely necessary.

Knowledge-Base: At first glance I don't think  "Club Express" has the right stuff for a good, searchable, Pantera knowledge-base.
That will need to be investigated by POCA
I still lean more to MediaWiki (Wikipedia is built on that) and let some of our incredible Pantera Guru's add content to that.
Very easy to do.  It might be possible to host that within Club Express.

Photos.  ALL of the Club Express customers use "Member Login" so I was not able to determine how extensive those customers
photo database are.  But I do know (because I helped Asa Jay fix it) that POCA has a huge library of photos.  Does Club Express have
the capability to upload those?  Database uploads are very labor intensive.  Each photo group will need that members attention.
So there needs to be a way to upload the photos, then a powerful search capability, and easy member maintenance.
I personally like "smugmug."  A professional photography site.  Maybe that could be tie to Club Express too.

Club Express Costs:
    $400. / month  hosting fee
    $2000.  White Glove setup fee.  There are cheaper costs but probably do not fit POCA
    CC fee's:  2.39% per transaction
    AE fee:     3.30% per transaction

Build Out:
    $600  Design
    $100  Quickbooks Integration
    $400  Virtual Membership
    $100/hr Training
    $1000/day+travel exp.
    $80/hr custom software

So that is my hour review.  I was not asked, but I was just curious.  Those who will be managing this project will
give us a more complete picture, I'm sure.

Now back to my regular job of chasing aliens.

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
InSight Sequence Team Lead