[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Advice

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 13:32:22 EST 2016

Most folks using an external electric fuel pump are drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank via the drain plug port. Electric fuel pumps don't like running dry and are typically not self priming so require a head of fuel over them. This leaves your current fuel pickup to be used as the bypass return, you'll want to remove the sock filter though.

Speaking of which you should consider installing a rollover valve on your tank vent line, Hall sells a unit that bolts right in place of the stock vent.

http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&item=22057

Internal bypass pumps are normally pressure limited pumps i.e. they have built in self regulation and can be used with a static regulator (non bypass), so not ideal for high HP applications as you have identified.

As the pump is going to have higher capacity than you are drawing most of the time, the problem with Teeing the return back to the pump feed is that you risk fuel constantly recirculating and heating leading to vapor lock in hotter weather. I'm pretty sure there must be other reasons not to do it related to pump performance in a closed loop system.

You could opt for an in tank pump, which provides the option to use the existing fuel pickup and is always primed (well unless you run out of fuel!) but may suffer from fuel slosh/surge at low fuel. Typically in tank pumps have a baffle or the tank is designed with a low point/sump for the pump to sit in.

Julian