[DeTomaso] Email Forum Opportunity

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:14:36 EDT 2016

I like the email list because I will continue to have the information I
receive in my own inbox.  Forever.

Web portals are somewhat enclosed for information because once neglected,
they die off.  It's much more cumbersome to archive and search, though it
is possible.  There are now web appliances you can manage that will curl or
wget their way through a force-feeding of the web site... but that isn't
really for the faint of heart and it's pretty cumbersome.

The Wayback Machine is one  https://archive.org/web/

A bit brute force if you want one for yourself
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget

And here are volunteer efforts for people orphaned by AOL and Geocities and
others.

Remember, we go from Data to Information to Knowledge to Wisdom.  Without a
knowledge strategy, data and information can be lost very easily.  And
context: the metadata and data associations build on each other and losing
any of these can make it such that the data will be meaningless.

I'm not advocating putting our email onto stone tablets, but I do think
that the primitives that we have used for some decades have value and will
always be accessible due to their simplicity.

sean

--
   I like the email list because I will continue to have the information I
   receive in my own inbox.A  Forever.
   manage that will curl or wget their way through a force-feeding of the
   web site... but that isn't really for the faint of heart and it's
   pretty cumbersome.
   The Wayback Machine is one A [1]https://archive.org/web/
   A bit brute force if you want one for yourself
   [2]http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget
   And here are volunteer efforts for people orphaned by AOL and Geocities
   and others.
   Remember, we go from Data to Information to Knowledge to Wisdom.A
   Without a knowledge strategy, data and information can be lost very
   easily.A  And context: the metadata and data associations build on each