[DeTomaso] Future of the email list

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 20 12:34:33 EDT 2016

All,

Keep in mind the reasons people love email.  People love email because it comes to THEM.  It takes little to no
effort.   People sit on their emails systems continuously, if not on their desktop, then on their mobile devices.
With a forum, people have to go to it.  They have to actually open a browser, go to the website, login, find the
forum, yadda yadda yadda.  It takes effort.

At JPL, I've been trying to wean missions OFF of emails for years.  During 2008 Phoenix landing I had ~40,000
emails just form that one mission.  But the end of that year I could delete about 15,000 and had to archive the
rest (CYA).

Today (on MSL) we use "Slack."   https://slack.com/    But mostly for team collaboration.  But, maybe it
could be viewed as a good alternative.  It sends out emails, but uses "Channels" for topics of discussions.  Channels
can be both private (user or team) or public.

Check it out.  Worth a look.

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory