[DeTomaso] NPC: Safety Recall, better late than never

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Tue Sep 15 03:20:52 EDT 2015

American lawyers and the consequences of their actions never cease to amaze
me. I got a letter from Fiat here in Denmark. Fiat owns Chrysler and
therefore Jeep. I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought for $600 4 years
ago, welded by me for 2 days, used for snow and offroading, so in pretty
dismal shape (my offroading enthusiasm is bigger than my offroading skill)
but drive line is fine.

The letter told me that my Jeep had been deemed unsafe to drive because of
the placement of the fuel tank, if rear-ended the other car could squeeze
under the rear and rupture the tank. Just for fun I called Fiat, and they
had the solution ready, a brand new trailer hitch. I had that installed
yesterday, and loaner car to get to work. No charge.

Isn't it amazing that my Jeep apparently has been "dangerous" for 20 years,
and now that it's soon to be scrapped, they put on a new trailer hitch for
free, that repair was worth more than the whole car J

Mvh/Regards

Mikael