[DeTomaso] Factory/Yellow SI/Pushbutton Pictures

Richard Greenblum Richard at richardgreenblum.com
Thu Oct 15 16:05:49 EDT 2015

All,

I got messages saying my files were too big.  So, I learned Dropbox (need it
for work anyway).  In case even my message didn¹t come through:

First, please excuse the poor picture content and quality.  I was deployed
to Aviano supporting the no-fly zone over Bosnia.  The Air Force Public
Affairs Office at Aviano Air Base made contact with the Modena Chamber of
Commerce (Automotive Section) because the DeTomaso factory wasn¹t giving
tours anymore.  The Chamber arranged for the tour on the basis that a US Air
Force Captain (it was a long time ago) had returned to Italy to see the
birth place of his beloved Italian car.  Corny, yesŠbut it got me in the
door, a personal tour from the general manager, a ride in a test mule Guara,
and a meeting with Isabella DeTomaso.  I was actually greeted at DeTomaso by
the head of the Auto Section of the Chamber who offered to take me to see
other factories, he named Lamborghini, if I had time, which unfortunately I
did not.

Due to their involvement, the Air Force saw fit to send a Public Affairs
officer with me and she took the photos, and wanted me in them.  If I had
been able to go on my own, I would not have appeared in any but a couple
pictures (for posterity of course).

I¹ve named the photos based on the main theme of the shot.  The ³Factory²
pictures are around the facilities with nothing in particular in the
foreground; ³Guara² and ³Guara Ride² are obvious, as is ³Yellow SI.²  The
pictures named ³Museum² are of cars and engines they were preparing to put
in what became a new display that I think many of you have seen‹they were
really looking forward to completing that work.

The ³Pushbutton² pictures are of a red ¹71 Euro pushbutton I mentioned
before.  A kid came from Italy and was attending the University of Houston.
The story goes  he just partied and did poorly.  His parents got pissed and
told him to come home, and to leave his Pantera with ³ROMA² license plates
behind.  I worked at FoMoCo at the time and someone called me and said they
had a Pantera that had been reported stolen, and was for sale.  I ran the
VIN in the Ford system, then called DMV.  Apparently, the kid wanted some
money so he reported it stolen, collected some insurance money, and sold the
car.  Because it wasn¹t hot, and couldn¹t verify the insurance story, I
bought it, then promptly got a Texas title.  Drove it a few times.  The car
had been wrecked with serious damage to the front and while it drove okay,
it couldn¹t be properly aligned.  Of course it had the Euro motor, which was
untouched, and ran extremely well.  The ZF was smooth and quiet.  I sold it
to a friend in Dallas who drove and worked on it for a couple of years then
sold it.  I never heard who the buyer was.

If you have questions about any of the pictures, I¹ll jog my memory and try
to answer them.

I¹m going to try to send a few at a time (starting with 6 of the 12 Yellow
SI pictures) because I don¹t know how to use Dropbox yetŠ

Richard
Austin, TX