[DeTomaso] Front Brake Bias, was Re: Fuel injection system and brakes question

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Thu Nov 5 21:32:12 EST 2015

Was going to let it go, in the most recent newsletter was the umpteenth recommendation to essentially disable the rear brakes on what is an unusually rear weight biased car.  But I now see at least one person has a similar grasp of the situation as mine:
"You might think to simply remove the proportioning valve now for a free upgrade. Some have done this but in my opinion it is a very bad idea because it essentially disables the small amount of brake the stock rears do provide."
I don't know if it's a small amount or the right amount, but if you're locking the fronts before the rears, reducing the braking power at the rear isn't going to shorten your stopping distance.  Especially on a car with rear weight bias + low center of gravity.  This ought to be immediately, intuitively obvious.
Another questionable notion is that tires affect the needed front / rear bias, that the stock proportioning valve only works with the stock size tires.  Unless you're running a radically different compound / design / diameter front vs. rear, generally I don't see how the physics has changed - you cannot fool Mother Nature.
In any case, if you've disabled your rear brakes, don't follow me - let me follow you.
Thanks,
GD