[DeTomaso] Rear accessory engine bay brace

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 22 16:53:07 EDT 2015

FWIW, the Hall thick-tube, long-end upper bay-brace is IMHO pretty much ideal as-sold. The extra triangulated lower rear brace has two design problems. First, the plates that mount the lower brace to the inner fender panels are flat, thick-wall steel plates while the thin fender panels have a compound curve. So edge-welding a large gap around is not as secure as it might be. Flattening the inner fender panels to match will likely promote oil-canning. I always suggest taking new plates, laying them face down in the dirt and 'forming' a compound curve in them with a 12-lb sledge-hammer. A hydraulic press would be more precise. Virtually any curve you might be able to beat into them is better than as-delivered-flat.

Second problem is, triangulating to the center of another tube (lower bay-brace system) doesn't structurally work well.  Dunno- maybe the way most Panteras are driven today (or not!), theory doesn't matter.  And if you cannot find a Hall long-end, square-tube upper bay-brace, any garage mechanic with a tape measure and a gas welder can fabricate one of thick-walled steel- round or square. Larry Stock's PPC-Carson City not only sells the threaded clevis & jam-nut ass'y separately for home craftsmen, he also makes long-end aluminum high-bling brace-bars that seem to work well. The magic of the old Hall square tube bar is the extended ends plus the straight-across force vector; the extended end lengths are likely more important.

The welded-in-place lower subframe braces (front & rear) are a whole other subject and seem to benefit paint integrity more than anything else I've seen. KIrby's experience is interesting- I hadn't heard that before.
My best guess- J Deryke