[DeTomaso] Short shaft water pump?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 00:35:05 EDT 2015

Joe, I wrote a comprehensive article with photos for the POCA Newsletter  last year on what it took. Actually, not  much- the gaskets are close to interchanging but there are two bolts on a Cleveland that are pump-mounted studs on this Ford hot-rod pump. So you bore out the threads in the pump body and use Cleveland bolts. As always, one of the two heater hose connections inteferes so it needs to be pulled out & the hole plugged.   Because it's meant for a Windsor, the short pump comes with a backing plate which the Clevelad doesn't use. Discarding the backing plate lets the pump shaft stick out the back 0.040" so the Cleveland front cover must be lightly dimpled or the shaft shortened. One of the pump outlets can be hand-ported to better match it to the block inlets, and obviously a custom pump pulley will be needed. Ford gets $150+ for the pump and immediately modifying it may put some off. The pump once mounted shortens the engine's envelope by about 1.5"' and together with remounting the alt backward (another article a decade ago), a flat firewall is easy.

Cheers- J DeRyke