[DeTomaso] First drive of 2015, new thermostat?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:57:06 EST 2015

If your temp gauge is wired into your engine block like it should be, then
your temp gauge will tell you if it is really overheating or not. Just
because it burped coolant doesn't mean the engine is too hot - it could be
that the system is slightly overfilled, and as it warms up it expands and
pukes out what it doesn't need. It would do this at normal operating
temperature.

Thinking about it, your engine would overheat if your thermostat was stuck
closed. If your thermostat were stuck closed, coolant wouldn't circulate.
If it doesn't circulate, it probably wouldn't overflow. So even assuming
that your engine really is overheating, it would probably not be a
thermostat, it would be something else like timing.