[DeTomaso] First drive of 2015, new thermostat?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 21:30:57 EST 2015

In a message dated 1/28/15 15 26 57, coxmichaelt at gmail.com writes:

> Since the car wasn't really up to full operating temp I'm guessing the
> thermostat is stuck closed, sound reasonable to you guys (and gals)?
>

>>>No.

That is, assuming you've moved the temp sender from the stock location on
the water tank, to the front of the block (which everybody should do if they
haven't already).   If you just took a quick trip and the car didn't come up
to temp, then the thermostat shouldn't have opened anyway.

I say it's likely much ado about nothing, i.e. a slightly overfilled
overflow tank.   Now, if your temp sender is on the bottle, and the engine got
fully up to temp but the rest of the cooling system remained cold, that would
be an indication of a stuck thermostat.   Of course, if that was the case,
you wouldn't be puking any water out of the overflow, because it would still
be cold, right?

So, I think you're barking up the wrong tree, and am 99% sure you don't
have any problem at all?