[DeTomaso] Sodium valves

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 02:41:55 EST 2015

<< I am confused when you say C351-4V I am assuming that is the engine designation but 4V does not mean 4 valve? >>

No, not 4 valve; 4V refers to a 4 barrel carburetor:
4V = 4 venturi ( 4 barrel carb)
2V = 2 venturi (2 barrel carb)
"Barrel" is a popular term for the carburetor throat. There is one venturi in each throat. A two-barrel carburetor has a primary venturi for part-load running and a secondary venturi for full-throttle; a four-barrel carburetor has two primary and two secondary venturis. The venturi tube is important in carburetion. A "venturi" is a tube with a restricted section. When liquid or air passes through the venturi tube, the speed of flow is increased at the restriction, and air pressure is decreased, creating an "increase in vacuum" (a reduction in ambient pressure). This causes fuel to be drawn into the barrel. The venturi action is used to keep the correct air-fuel ratio throughout the range of speeds and loads of the engine.