[DeTomaso] Sodium valves

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:12:21 EST 2015

Rob,

Most likely, the only way to tell for sure is to pull a head.  Who knows
what you have after 40+ years.

The 72 blocks have a D2AE casting number on the block.  The D2 means 1972.
 So, if it says D2AE-something, it was cast in 1972 or later.

The earlier blocks should be D0 something.  I don¹t recall the exact code,
but I don¹t think there were any with D1 (1971) casting numbers.

The earlier blocks are called D-blocks.  There is a pad on the front of
the block above and in front of the fuel pump mount.  The early blocks
have a large pad about the size of a quarter that resembles a D.  The
later blocks are called square blocks.  They have a square, about 1/2 the
size of a dime in the same location.

>From what I recall, the square and D blocks are virtually identical, so it
doesn¹t matter.  But if you have a square D2AE block, you probably have
open chamber heads.

And if you have factory adjustable rockers, you have boss heads - which
are really just closed chamber heads with adjustable rockers.

I am going from memory, so don¹t take this as gospel.