[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil per Lloyd Butfoy

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:07:14 EST 2015

I would disgaree with Mr. Drew on the combination of 3.77 and 0.62 5th; With a talll 0.62 5th and 4.22 R&P 75 mph cruising speed is dropped from stock 2,800 rpm to 2,500 rpm. Go with the 3.77 R&P sticking with the stock 0.705 5th it's the smae 2,500 rpm. The combination of 3.77 & 0.62 tall 5th lands at 2,200 rpm for 75 mph. As the ZF 5th is truly an overdrive gear for high speed cruising anyway, I'd be happy at 2,200 rpm for 75 mph, with the bonus of the higher 3.77 gearing through 1st to 4th.

Of course if Mr. Drew potters along in the left hand lane with his tall 5th at 65 mph he will be turning 2,200 rpm anyway! I'd shift that 3.77 down to 4th and turn 2,600 rpm at that point, but I can understand some older folks find all the shifitng too much ;)

Julian