[DeTomaso] Pusher Fans with stock fan brackets

Richard Greenblum Richard at richardgreenblum.com
Tue Aug 18 15:51:25 EDT 2015

I've had the Meriah fans on my car for longer than I can remember.  They are
very good, but quite a bit of flow is lost because the ³shroud² is simply a
rim around the perimeter.  A fair amount of air blows laterally and never
gets through the radiator.  I read recently on this list someone¹s opinion
that fixed shrouded suckers are better at low speeds and the Meriah type
fans are better at higher speeds.  I agree.  And since most of us need more
cooling at slower speeds (unless you¹re really pushing a lot of motor
generating a ton of heat), it seems to me the suckers are better for street
cars.  Next time I upgrade, I plan on going with a radiator with shrouded
suckers in the upright original position.

In summer, we have triple digit days with a fair amount of humidity.  My
temp (factory gauge) will climb to about 240 in stop-and-go traffic.  If I
push the idle up to around 900 or 1,000 rpm while sitting, the temp will
drop at least 5 or 10 degrees.  Once I get moving it returns to between 190
and 195.  Never gurgles, steams, etc.  Can¹t ask for too much more from a
system that keeps you from actually overheating, and then recovers well.

Richard
Austin, TX