[DeTomaso] "Nascar " engine balance question for a race Pantera

Patrick HALS patrickhals at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:01:44 EDT 2015

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the very quick reply.
You are right... but I'd better have a dozen of coherent and identical US
second advises than just trusting a reputable European engine builder who
has built 25 Cleveland in his 40 years carreer. That's what a US builder
does in one year or so... . I have experienced several disappointments in
building even street engines in the EU, that I had all my race
engines satisfactorily built in the US, even if, sometimes, there are some
troubles. Life is like that. Nobody said building engines and putting them
in a race car ( even a Pantera ) are an exact science... Especially when it
comes to about 100 HP per liter with a normally aspirated engine whose
conception dates back from the 60's. Look at Formula One or World Endurance
Championship ( WEC )  today, There, we are talking about the best engineers
worldwide , and practically a no limit budget . There is a persistant
rumour saying that Mercedes Benz left a one billion euros cheque on the
table for its F1 hybrid  engine.
Asking "obvious" questions to the Forum has always been THE solution for me
when I was " desperate" : fast, experienced , detailed, accurate AND
friendly ! I cannot thank my Forum friends enough ! The Forum saved " my
life " overnight for Le Mans Classic 2008 with Candy, I will never forget
that .
Pat

Patrick Hals
+32.476.567.898

> Hi Pat,
>
> If it's internally balanced, I think it should be a neutral balance (not
> the 20 oz balance) flywheel.  Cleveland and Windsor should be the same, but
> with a ZF, you need a 164 tooth flywheel.  A lot of flywheels have
> removable weights, so you just take off whatever weight is on it.  If you
> want it really good, have the flywheel and pressure plate balanced together
> to zero.
>
> If the engine builder there does not already know this, he probably is not
> the right builder for your engine.
>
> Ken
>
>  ------------------------------

-------------- next part --------------
   Hi Ken,A
   Thanks for the very quick reply.A
   You are right... but I'd better have a dozen of coherent and identical
   US second advises than just trusting a reputable European engine
   builder who has built 25 Cleveland in his 40 years carreer. That's what
   a US builder does in one year or so... . I have experienced several
   disappointments in building even street engines in the EU, that I had
   all my race enginesA satisfactorilyA built in the US, even if,
   sometimes, there are some troubles. Life is like that. Nobody said
   building engines and putting them in a race car ( even a Pantera ) are
   an exact science... Especially when it comes to about 100 HP per liter
   with a normally aspirated engine whose conception dates back from the
   60's. Look at Formula One or World Endurance Championship ( WEC )
   A today, There, we are talking about the best engineers worldwide , and
   practically a no limit budget . There is a persistant rumour saying
   that Mercedes Benz left a one billion euros cheque on the table for its
   F1 hybrid A engine.A
   Asking "obvious" questions to the Forum has always been THE solution
   for me when I was " desperate" : fast, experienced , detailed, accurate
   AND friendly ! I cannot thank my Forum friends enough ! The Forum saved
   " my life " overnight for Le Mans Classic 2008 with Candy, I will never
   forget that .
   Pat

   Patrick Hals
   +32.476.567.898

   Hi Pat,
   If it's internally balanced, I think it should be a neutral balance
   (not the 20 oz balance)A flywheel.A A Cleveland and Windsor should be
   the same, but with a ZF, you need a 164 tooth flywheel.A  A lot of
   flywheels have removable weights, so you just take off whatever weight
   is on it.A  If you want it really good, have the flywheel and pressure
   plate balanced together toA zero.