[DeTomaso] NPC - Create a dually with only 2 rear tires instead of 4

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:41:20 EDT 2014

Having towed a large 5th wheel trailer with an F250 I would tell you to get a bigger truck. I went the whole hog and bought a semi truck, but they are cheap enough and if your state allows personal registration (non commercial use) then it's cheap registration and no CDL too.

My biggest worry with the single wheel pickup was a tire blowout scenario as you just know that is likely to end badly with all that trailer mass behind you. You have probably exceeded the towing capacity of the truck at this point and many states require a license endorsement for towing over 10,000 lbs, so insurance validity might come into question in the event of an accident.

Some semi's are starting to use super singles, but that's on twin screw axle trucks so a flat not a complete loss of load support. Adding a second rear wheel to a pickup is probably not an option as the tires would protrude from the vehicle.

Julian