[DeTomaso] 295-50-15 Avon Tyres

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 03:13:20 EDT 2014

I've run 245-50x 15 fronts on 8" Campys for 15 years, using no spring spacers, Koni shocks that reset the ride height lower and 4 degrees of caster. All these things impact how much clearance a given car needs. So, on our '72L, I folded in the fender lips and had the following tire rub interferences at full-lock in sharp turns with one person aboard:

1- a section on the inner left fender behind the brake hose-to-hard-line bracket- about 3" long, plus the extreme bottom of the left cowl drain pipe. Both fixed with a few swings of a ball-peen hammer followed by black primer paint on any exposed steel.

2- a rub on the extreme bottom of the right front fender below the parking light housing (also quickly hammer-fixed), and contact with the wiper motor splash shield that needed a section flattened. Without the caster increase, this last may not have been an issue. Std height cars also may not have such rubs.

Do not be surprised if clearances are different on left and right sides. Many Panteras are slightly asymmetric when trying to fit max-width tires. Also pay attention to tire-to-brake hose clearances with very wide front tires. A spinning tire will wear thru a rubber brake hose very quickly, and if you have braided-stainless-steel dash-3 hose, the hose will wear the tire edges. Hoses can be 'biased' by retightening with the hose twisted away from the interference. It also makes little difference if the tires are 15", 16" or 17" as long as the chosen size is 245-50 and the ODs are close.
Good luck- J DeRyke

 Does anybody know what we can get away with clearance-wise with 8"  fronts?