[DeTomaso] Fuel cell

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 14:09:54 EST 2014

I have seen a pair of fuel cells run in race Panteras in the past. They were simple rectangular blocks about 12" thick and sized to fit one on each side of the engine, with a large connection tube between the two tanks that ran in front of the engine. Each held about 10 gallons. Advantage is, you get better balance since only half the fuel volume is in either tank, and all of it is far lower in the chassis than would be a single tank behind the driver. Disadvantage is more complexity, far more chance of fuel leaks from dual cells, and no gauge. Don't know who built them but any of the commercial fuel-cell builders likely have such. Quella runs a single cell in the front trunk of his tube-frame/plastic-body Pantera that seems about the same size.10 gallons or so would be OK for open track events but too small for Silver State or most street use. Power requires fuel: Jr Wilson with around 900 bhp once emptied a 42 gallon cell in only 92 miles of WFO running in one Silver State event....plan accordingly.